Ohio Nonviolence Week
The Ohio Nonviolence Week Committee announces events for Nonviolence Week, October 7-13, 2018:
- The Eighth Annual Nonviolence Parade, which is the kickoff for the week, will begin at 3 PM on Sunday, October 7th, 2018 at the intersection of Wick and Wood streets in downtown Youngstown. All are welcome to participate – bands, schools, churches, 4-H Clubs, Boy and Girls Club, nonprofits, businesses, social organizations, sororities and fraternities, YSU, Eastern Gateway Community College. Groups can MAKE A FLOAT, walk, ride, have music. Create a banner for your group that depicts the theme of Nonviolence or Peace. Awards will be given for the best banner and the best float! The rally will take place at the Covelli Center parking lot immediately following the parade.
Register for the parade online at Ohiononviolenceweek.org/registration or call/text 330- 207-4467.
- “Mingle With Minni” Monday, October 8th from 5:30-8:30 at Flambeau’s LIVE, 2308 Market Street in Youngstown. Minnijean Brown Trickey, one of the Little Rock Nine will be the guest of honor. (cost $20)
- The Third Annual Simeon Booker Award for Courage ceremony and scholarship fundraiser will be held in the DeYor Centre for Performing Arts on Tuesday, October 9th.7:00 Simeon Booker Award for Courage will be in the Ford Theater at the DeYor Centre for Performing Arts. There will be a panel discussion on the theme of “Courageous Philanthropy”, and the Simeon Booker awards will be given. The event is free but tickets are required.
- Reception from 5:30-7:00 in the lobby of Powers Auditorium. (Cost $25).
- Wednesday, October 10th, Barnes & Noble will be hosting the Second Annual Nonviolence Evening at Barnes and Noble from 4:30-7:30. There will be activities for children of all ages as well as adults.
- The winners of the Nonviolence Art Contest will have their art displayed at the Soap Gallery in downtown Youngstown all week. On Thursday, October 11th from 5-7 there will be a public reception at the gallery. All students from k-12 are welcome to enter the art contest, and adults may also display their nonviolence art work at the galley. Contact Penny Wells at email@example.com.
- Friday, October 12th will be a day of service to the community.
For more information go to www.ohiononviolenceweek.org or contact Penny Wells 330-207-4467.