Visit the Ohio Non-Violence Week Website
- 3PM Sunday, October 1 – Seventh Annual Nonviolence Parade/Rally
- Download Parade and Rally Registration Form DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 15, 2017
- ONLINE PARADE REGISTRATION
- Download Art Contest Form DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 21, 2017
- 6-9 PM Monday October 2 – “Mingle With Minni” at Flambeau’s on Market St. (sponsored by St. Patrick Church and Flambeau’s to honor Minnijean Brown Trickey) (cost $20)
- 8 AM Monday, October 2 – Jeff Steinberg, director Sojourn to the Past, to speak to all Early College 10th graders in the Ohio Room, YSU
- 12:30 PM Monday, October 2 – Jeff Steinberg to speak to 10th graders at Chaney
- 9 AM Tuesday October 3 – Jeff Steinberg to speak to 10th graders at East
- October 2-4 – Minnijean Brown Trickey and Ken Mason (SREB) to conduct nonviolence workshops with leadership teams in YCS
- October 2-5 Sandy Hook Promise to speak to fifth graders and up in all Youngstown schools and in Liberty
- 5PM Tuesday, October 3 – Simeon Booker Award for Courage dinner in Powers Lobby (cost $100) PURCHASE TICKETS
- Local recipient of Simeon Booker Award for Courage – Terry Vicars, local advocate for the “least of these”
- National recipient of Simeon Booker Award for Courage – Ken Nwadike, Jr. peace advocate and director of Hugs Project, Inc.
- 7PM Tuesday, October 3 – Simeon Booker Award for Courage at Dior Center for Performing Arts – panel to discuss racism, Islamophobia and anti-Semitism (FREE)
- 9AM Wednesday, October 4 – Juvenile Court Judge Michael Ryan from Cleveland will speak at Chaney High School
- 5-7 PM Wednesday, October 4 – Art award reception at Soap Gallery – All winners of the Nonviolence Art contest will have art work displayed at the soap gallery during the month of October.
- 4-7 PM Thursday, October 5 – Nonviolence evening at Barnes and Noble – book reading and art for elementary students, Youngstown Connection, “Raise your voice” – opportunity for young people to speak out, yoga, live radio broadcast, peace drink in the café, nonviolence art displayed on the walls, create bumper stickers to place on wooden VW bus and much more.
- 10 AM – 1 PM Saturday, October 7 – YSU Inclusive Awareness speaker at Flambeau’s on Market St. – Dr. Jesse Thompson, University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign Campus.
- 4-7 PM Saturday, October 7 – YSU Inclusive Awareness speaker at YSU – Dr. Jesse Thompson, University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign Campus.
If you have any questions,please call or email
Penny Wells, Director of Mahoning Valley Sojourn to the Past
Download Nonviolence Week flyer – 2017